A History of Commitment
RCLI’s origins date to 2003, when founder Fritz Kling first convened a diverse group of Christians. Together, they prayed for Richmond and sought to discern their role in its future. Inspired by Jeremiah 29:7, they were led to seek the “peace and prosperity” of their city.
After years of earnest prayer, extensive discussions, and site visits to cities with civically-active Christian efforts, they felt the mandate was clear: invest in the future leaders of Richmond and, most importantly, their application of Christian leadership practices. Working diligently, these early volunteers set about sharing their vision and building a base for what became the Richmond Christian Leadership Initiative. Its first Class met in September of 2007. Two years later, RCLI hired an Executive Director to help coordinate and manage the many generous hands that allow RCLI to function.
Interim Executive Director, RCLI; Third Church
Operations Coordinator, RCLI; City Church
Board of Directors
Blaine Lay (RCLI ’10)
Brand Experience Manager, PadillaCRT; East End Fellowship
President, Gryphon Capital Management.; Hope Church
- Monica Brown
Senior Manager Corporate Finance (Retired); St. Paul’s Baptist Church
- J.G. Carter
President, Union Mortgage Group; Hope Church
- Anthony Crenshaw
University of Richmond; St. Paul’s Baptist Church
- Caitlin Figura (RCLI ’12)
Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Richmond; Tabernacle Baptist Church
- Rev. Alesia (Lisa) Johnson
Public School Teacher (Retired); Pastoral Counselor; First Shiloh Baptist Church
- Christopher Jones
Owner, Authentic Leader™
- Rev. Tuck Knupp
PCUSA Pastor, Retired; Hope Church
- Tarvaris McCoy (RCLI '14)
The Real McCoy Companies; Love Integrity Faith Excellence Church
- Ashley Tuite, Esq.
Attorney, Gammon & Grange, P.C.; Third Church
- Wendell Globig
Investment Manager, Globig Investments, Inc.; Church of the Nations
Statement of Faith
As a guide to its mission and to the shape and delivery of all programming and related activities, RCLI adopted the below Statement of Faith. Class members and staff and volunteer leadership are not required to agree with this Statement, but are expected to be supportive of it and its influence on the RCLI ministry.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that the salvation of lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit, is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; that they are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
[NOTE: The above is the National Association of Evangelicals' Statement of Faith]